Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
plugin
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
Re: Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes
In reply to olsem007, May 20, 2013

olsem007 wrote:

Digital zoom (cropping) doesn't change perspective, optical does. There is nothing to argue about.

Actually - there is.  You are not correct.  The link you shared does not contradict what I said - because the pictures they show are NOT taken from the same spot.  If you change your position, so as to maintain the same object image size, then perspective will change - but it was not the lens change that caused it, it was the position change.  Changing lenses, while staying in the same position, will NOT change perspective at all.

This is a bit counter intuitive, as we are told over and over that long lenses compress perspective, and short lenses exaggerate it - but those statements are incorrect.  Taking a picture from close to a subject exaggerates perspective, taking pictures from far away compresses it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you 'corrected' my statement by making an incorrect one.  Lens changes do NOT change perspective, IF THE PICTURE IS TAKEN FROM THE SAME SPOT.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow