I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
Re: I will not drive a Corvette
In reply to DJF77, May 20, 2013

DJF77 wrote:

There is definitely alot of snobbery when it comes to RAW, its like the 'I shoot in manual mode only' rubbish that people use without fully understanding why or how Av or Tv can give you the same control.

Raw has its uses but is only really necessary for critical work, even then as a back-up to a Jpeg... Todays Jpegs are very malleable & if you have to push a file so hard that a Jpeg isnt sufficient then you should probably pay a little more attention when you shoot. Raw does have its uses but I would bet 90% of us dont really need to be using it solely.

Pros, (sellers of images) and very picky people should shoot RAW and it makes absolute sense.  To get the full advantage from expensive MF and full frame cams with really good glass it is just being smart along with detailed processing.  For amateur hobbyists that just want good photos that can be proudly shown to family, friends and even DPR forum members, JPEG with some minor pp is very sensible.

Most small sensor cams require a touch of (-) exposure compensation to control highlights and shooting each subject 2 or 3 times just to be sure of a good one is cheap insurance.  Returning home from a trip abroad with 3000 JPEG photos to process is quite enough computer time for me.  It is good to have choices.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow