It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom2572
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Faketastic, May 20, 2013

Faketastic wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

Faketastic wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

Faketastic wrote:

How can FL not matter(?)- you're buying a prime and the FL is everything then.

That said, you need OSS for video and video without having the ability to zoom is rather boring/limited. I vote for the 16-50 OSS for video and then the 24/1.8 if you have the funds. For indoor shots the 24 mm FL will be very valuable. The Sigma 30mm is ok but the 35/1.8 is just not wide enough for indoor shots (and is too tight for nature, architecture et.c.).

Personally I think zooms are underrated

Zooms are way over-rated, but other than that I agree with you the FL matters, or at least it should. Buying the Zeiss 24mm because it's a better lens than the SEL35mm and then finding out 24mm is not your thing would be a terrible waste of money.

Why are zooms overrated? I see tons of pictures here that people have take with a prime that could benefit greatly from changing FL. Also, if you buy the zoom instead of either the 24 or the 35 would eliminate the problem you mention, right?

Thanks for proving my point, which is that you are certainly over-rating zooms if you think one zoom can replace both the SEL35 and the Zeiss24mm. But I could be mistaken. By all means, point out the zoom that is as fast as both of those primes, as light as both, and with the same IQ as both........

Stop putting words in my mouth please. The truth is that most of us don't have the "eye" to make the most of a prime. That's why zooms were invented in the first place and zooms were (and still are, among PROs) much more popular.

You tell me I'm putting words into your mouth (which I didn't) and then you turn around and accuse most photographers of not being able to make the most of a prime. Nice.

For the record I don't have a single issue with zooms as a photographic tool. I am only (re)stating my opinion that they are over-rated in response to you saying they are under-rated. Besides, how exactly can something be under-rated when 99.9% of all photographers have purchased at least one of them?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow