Is it OK to "steal" pictures for school reports, etc?

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtan163
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it OK to "steal" pictures for school reports, etc?
In reply to tkbslc, May 20, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

My first grader is doing a report on eagles.  We were thinking of printing a few pictures from some websites to use in the project.   But then I got thinking, is this photo theft or a copyright violation?  Isn't there some provision made for educational use?

Or I guess another question might be, would you be angry if you found out someone used a picture you had taken for a school project?

Obligatory warning: IANAL.

Depends on your country, but yes in some juristictions there is a clause about fiar use including educational use.

But most people really don't understand what that means.

That is means something like you can use a percentage of the work (in Australia it is usually quoted as 10% I think) for edcuational purpsoes.

What that means is that say you are a lecturer at a duly registered educatiional institution, you can say take a journal and photocopy an article and use that in clase, instead of the whole class buying the article.

Or you are a student and you want to read a journal article or txt book cahpter at home and the material is not loanable, then yes you can copy a portion of it.

It does not mean that just because you are a student you can go crazy.

It also does not mean you can copy or broadcast entire works to use for self education or to educate others (you see this all the time on youtube, people put up documentaries and say "Im put it up for educational purposes so that is fair use").
Wrong. That is piracy.

Here is some of the copyright policy etc of a local university here.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/copyright/
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/copyright/study_research/

I suspect that universitys wherever you live will have similar policues and explanations.

Simply being a student is not a license to use copyright works.

That said, I can't imagine anyone is going to come after you and I certainly can't see a judge doing much more than a warning if someone did come after you and you first grader.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow