Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,859Gear list
Like?
Re: why not f/1.2 by Sony?
In reply to ilza, May 20, 2013

ilza wrote:

I wrote:

Shadows of the wires will be longer with oblique illumination indeed.  But since wires (as visible from the sensels) form a rectangular skyscraper landscape, would not this rectangularity be visible on the shape of bokeh?  (When everything settles down, bokeh is, AFAIU, only “the shadow of the entry pupil” on the sensor.  So everything which effectively affects the entry pupil should be visible on bokeh)

Until this relation with bokeh is clarified, I like my microlenses conjecture better.

Thinking more about this, I get completely lost!

Different wavelenghts penetrate on different depth (in doped silicon; see, e.g., the original Foveon's X3 papers on the graphs; IIRC, it is 0.1µm–3µm).  So the shadows (no matter of  what: of wires, or of edges of microlenses) are going to have different areas depending on the depth, so depending on the wavelength.

So the shape of the bokeh should be significantly different for R, G and B.  Is it observed?  Likewise for ISO boost at wide apertures…

People see color shifts and additional vignetting in the corners when using symmetrical wide angle lenses (like Voigtlander lenses made for Leica) that have shallow angles towards the corners. This is worse with the 24MP NEX 7 than the 16MP 5n.

I have not heard of this with wide aperture lenses, which act more as if they are simply stopped down a bit.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@OPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow