ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Haelixx
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Which focal for mountain photography
May 20, 2013

Hi,

Looking for some buying advice. I'm in the market for a small, light prime to take to an adventure trip (think glaciers, climbing). I'm a full-frame nikon user and I currently have the all-around 24-85mm zoom which is heavy. Trying to reduce that weight - and equally important size (those who placed a full-frame dslr in a 30-40l backpack together with food & clothes know what I'm talking about).

Most importantly: I would like some input about the most appropriate focal length. I'm choosing between 24mm, 28mm and 35mm. I see a lot using a 24mm for landscapes but thinking the frame gets a bit too distorted, I want a more natural eye-like feeling (although it does provide beautiful clouds). A 35 seems more suited to street photography. So a 28 would be 'exactly right', what do you think?

Secondly, which one? The 28mm f/1.8 AF-S would be great but it's similar in size to my normal zoom. I read that the 28mm f/2.8D is not especially good a performer, so those of you who have it, please contradict me - I reckon sharpness would be alright since the best shooting will be done in bright daylight at f/11 or so (?).

P.S. I didn't look for off-brands but if anyone suggests a Sigma or otherwise, I would be happy to buy one.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow