Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes
In reply to Huntere, May 20, 2013

Huntere wrote:

I have recently bought a Canon 60D with 18-55 and 55-250mm kit lenses.
Now I guess my main thing is landscapes and am off soon to Karijini and really what to capture it as best I can with my limited ability! Given its a 2 day drive I don't want to have to go back.
So am looking at the Canon 10-22mm IS USM lens.....but its a lot of coin, well compared to the recent kit purchase.
Should I? I know no one can answer definitely but is that little better extra worth it for capturing vistas?
If someone could post come comparisons it would help.

Thanks

As others have said, the difference between 10mm and 18mm is huge.

However, given that huge difference, I would suggest that you want to capture it the best you can with your existing equipment. If you need wider angle you can shoot and stitch panoramas.

You can also use the 55-250 to pick out details that would otherwise be lost in the super-wide angle image and this approach often brings far more distinctive images.

Honestly, for a rare opportunity, I'd stick with the equipment you know and use already.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow