bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Re: Huh?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 20, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

... carefully avoiding any contribution to enlighten us about the originally reported mystery:

Why is this lens price, irrespectively of its unique ingenious and useful 1.4X TC integration, about double the same FL zoom offering form an equally competent, same league/same overall quality lens maker?

I'm not really very interested in comparing with the Nikon 200-400 as I have no interest in buying one. Years ago I bought into the Canon system, and time after time that has proved to be a good decision. Most recently with the truly remarkable 300/2.8L II, but I also still marvel at the 70-300L which was 20% of the price. And the 60 macro for only 30% of that.

What I did do was compare with other options from Canon to show that the 200-400L price is exactly in line with expectations, and I think you'll find that what I said stands up to scrutiny.

It can't be "in line with expectations" because there's simply no other lens in the market with the same technical innovation.

There is, however, another lens in the market, from an equivalent good manufacturer, with similarly good specifications, and exactly the same FL covering range that costs 5050 USD less, while only missing the said innovation.

This means that, since their own stand-alone 1.4x TC costs around 450$, Canon is "telling" us that the technical novelty implementation, itself, justifies the 3000 to 4000 $USD premium ($1000 range accounting for possible slight optical advantages the Canon may have over the Nikon)

I understand you don't want to comment that.

Thanks for the contribution.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

It seems strange that you are directly comparing the Nikon and Canon lenses when I don't recall anyone having yet done a proper head-to-head hands-on comparison of the two.  The Canon one in use might blow the Nikon out of the water. The Nikon one might be the relative bargain of the century and be every bit as good at a much keener price. We don't know.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow