Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Don_Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shot in RAW
In reply to DonA2, May 20, 2013

DonA2 wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

The only thing in this post that I disagree with somewhat. It is exactly some of the limitations of small sensors that can be partially reduced or overcome with raw image processing.

The two greatest limitations of P&S camers are sensor noise and lack of dynamic range. The SX50, with its 12-bit per channel signal gives raws a dynamic range not seen in most other P&S cameras. That permits one the opportunity to get shadow detail and save blown highlights that is not available in most JPGs (although the various advanced shooting modes help in this somewhat).

Regards,

Don

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

Well, the obvious will no doubt prevail.  However, until I fall into the trap of buying  a large (APSC+) sensor camera I can rest easy that my slightly inferior tiny sensor will fill my limited needs.  Not everyone has a calibrated Ezo monitor or a full frame DSLR nor a desire to spend their free time jacking up a RAW image to perfection.  Come to think of it, I respect Canon's design engineers to get every little bit of IQ out of their JPEGs as that is what 98% will ascend to.   We are mostly creatures of a fast fix.

OK, I will attempt to use RAW when I find a reason to burden myself with Adobe Photoshop

Gad. Heaven forbid. Photoshop is for graphic designers and way overburdened for photo tweaking. I use Canon's quite capable raw converter DPP (those engineers who designed the converter inside the camera have likely had a hand in the one on the desktop). I make more adjustments in freeware (Rawtherapee--terrible name great free/open source software). The process doesn't take long and I only do it for images I really like and want to bring out the best in. Snapshots of grandchildren are another thing entirely--lots of fun and not much work because there are always more the next time they/we visit.

and perhaps obtain that mini DSLR so as to blow out less highlights.  Shadows I can live with.  A little noise I can tolerate. There is a point where life will go on without so much perfection.

I generally let noise be handled mostly by default with DPP and sharpening be handled with a default setting in GIMP. Neither takes any toil at all.

Don't take this wrong, This is not to criticize RAW disciples.  I have come from SLRs and don't care to return via digital. Life is short and my 80+ years shows.  I have found that a little less is often best.  But hey, that's just me.

I have no problem with that approach. The SX50's in-camera JPG is terrific most of the time. I have spent most of my 58 years of photography  with tedious darkroom work and the digital darkroom seems refreshing,  light weight and powerful to me by comparison. Perhaps when I get closer to 80 I'll be closer to your approach. It won't be that long if I make it.

Regards,

Don

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow