Like?
Re: Blown out tulips
In reply to Horacio Borromeo, May 20, 2013

Horacio Borromeo wrote:

nixda wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

intruder61 wrote:

it can be fixed in PS as a raw file.

Honest question: Isn't it possible that he clipped the red highlights completely, meaning he can't recover them in raw?

Absolutely. The OP even states that the raw data are blown as well. At least that's how I read his/her post. In that case, indeed, nothing much can be done. Lesson learned: it seems one has to be a bit careful with the reds on the Fujis, even on the X-Trans cameras. In this particular case, perhaps, one can pull it back a bit by using the data in the other channels, but the color would get distorted no matter what, so the final result wouldn't be authentic, unless one does some sophisticated color correction on top of it.

I have the same problem (blown reds) but the problem seems less severe in overcast sky or open shade conditions, as in this photo.

Taken outdoors in Singapore under clear sky, sunny condition. Flowers were under a canopy.

Horacio

It should be less with overcast skies as there is softwr light and therefore Less contrast. Sunny days mean contrasty pictures which pushes the historgram out. In my example above i used Velvia which has a smaller DR and thus more contrast making it easier to blow out a channel.  All this would be better handled with a color histogram.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow