I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064Gear list
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shot in RAW
In reply to Don_Campbell, May 20, 2013

Don_Campbell wrote:

The only thing in this post that I disagree with somewhat. It is exactly some of the limitations of small sensors that can be partially reduced or overcome with raw image processing.

The two greatest limitations of P&S camers are sensor noise and lack of dynamic range. The SX50, with its 12-bit per channel signal gives raws a dynamic range not seen in most other P&S cameras. That permits one the opportunity to get shadow detail and save blown highlights that is not available in most JPGs (although the various advanced shooting modes help in this somewhat).

Regards,

Don

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

Well, the obvious will no doubt prevail.  However, until I fall into the trap of buying  a large (APSC+) sensor camera I can rest easy that my slightly inferior tiny sensor will fill my limited needs.  Not everyone has a calibrated Ezo monitor or a full frame DSLR nor a desire to spend their free time jacking up a RAW image to perfection.  Come to think of it, I respect Canon's design engineers to get every little bit of IQ out of their JPEGs as that is what 98% will ascend to.   We are mostly creatures of a fast fix.

OK, I will attempt to use RAW when I find a reason to burden myself with Adobe Photoshop and perhaps obtain that mini DSLR so as to blow out less highlights.  Shadows I can live with.  A little noise I can tolerate. There is a point where life will go on without so much perfection.

Don't take this wrong, This is not to criticize RAW disciples.  I have come from SLRs and don't care to return via digital. Life is short and my 80+ years shows.  I have found that a little less is often best.  But hey, that's just me.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow