Defective Nikon d7000? Autofocus not working?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dpprints
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Defective Nikon d7000? Autofocus not working?
11 months ago

So I finally took the plunge and purchased my first dslr, a Nikon d7000.  Took me months of research and saving and my camera finally arrived 6 days ago.  However yesterday out of the blue the AutoFocus just stopped working!  I've only used the camera for 4 days!  Needless to say that I'm very disappointed.

The camera settings had not changed from when I used it the night before...when it was working perfectly.  Then when I picked it up the next day the Autofocus would not focus and would not even snap a shot.  It can snap a shot now and then if you wait a long time but that doesn't really matter since the pic ends up all blur anyway because the camera refuses to focus.

I've tried removing and replacing the lens, checking sd card, checking the autofocus buttons on both the camera and lens, checking to make sure the focus is not locked anywhere...still the camera will not autofocus.  I switched to manual focus and the camera works fine in manual.  It's just the autofocus that will not work.

I'm using a kit lens that came with the camera - 18-105mm VR lens. Any other suggestions on what may be wrong with the camera?  Is there something I'm missing?

Now I wonder if it would be better to either send it to Nikon for repair or if perhaps I should just return the camera.  I'm worried that after only 4 days and it already needs repair, how will the camera hold up after repair?  Has anyone else had issues with the Nikon d7000 and autofocus issues or camera breaking after such a short time?  Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if perhaps I should have just purchased the Canon EOS 60D instead.

Canon EOS 60D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow