How do you delete your unneeded photos or do you hoard them like me?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?
Re: How do you delete your unneeded photos or do you hoard them like me?
In reply to sethmarshall, May 20, 2013

I just got back from a trip, my first personal travel experience with the 6D. Previously, I always preferred to travel with older, smaller MP cameras that provided smaller files so that I could shoot plenty without consuming too much space. Cameras like my 1Ds Mark II, with large 16.7MP files, stayed at home and were left for specific work needing the pixel real estate. For me personally, 8MP was plenty for travel.

But the 6D intrigued me because of the unmatched high ISO capability which seemed an enormous benefit for travel. Plus, it is switchable between 5/10/20 MP file sizes. So when I got a 6D, I knew it might be one truly multi-use camera. (In fact, I'm looking forward to the next generation... when I can pick up a couple more used current versions at a discount from all the nice folks who will "upgrade"!)

Culling is important to me. I don't mind experimenting with shots, so I end up with things I KNOW almost immediately I don't like. There's no need to keep those. So yes, I cull. Same for personal and work. One pass to get rid of the obvious. Then a second to fine tune and decide between similar images which is the best of a series. If I don't trash about 50%, then I don't consider the job done.

As far a disc space is concerned, I actually enjoy using the Adobe DNG converter and saving images in compressed DNG format. In fact, I've no other file that benefits from this as much as the 6D files. A 20MP CR2 file is roughly 18-20MB, but the compressed full-size DNG ends up at about 3-4MP. And honestly, looking at original CR2 files and DNG side-by-side at 100%, I just can't tell the difference. Maybe other can, but I don't. And certainly nothing objectionable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow