Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
RX1 for Portraiture...?
May 20, 2013

This is an offshoot to another thread asking the question what supporting camera is ideal to accompany the RX1?

I can understand the desire and realistic need of an ultra wide angle as well as a telephoto.  But the question is does the RX1 with its high quality IQ and many MP allow it to cover a range of mid-focal length needs with robust quality?  In other words, is an RX1 RAW crop or Extra Fine Jpeg 75mm EFL portrait as good as the RX100 75mm EFL?  NEX 6?  When does the crop really start to impact IQ?  And would I rather crop in an air conditioned room at the end of the day or haul an extra lens and body all day on my feet "just in case" and then dive into my big camera bag as necessary?  Or if I am willing to shoot Jpeg I can jump to 50mm & 75mm EFL with just a button press.

To get the discussion going a took a couple of Extra Fine Jpeg shots of my son a few minutes ago, both standing the same distance away.  Both are Extra Fine Jpeg with B&W preset #1 applied in LR4.  I did not crop either but the camera cropped the first shot below to 75mm EFL using Smart Zoom and medium "soft skin" was applied in camera.  The bottom picture received the same treatment, only the natural fixed lens 35mm EFL was used.  I was standing down the stairs causing the lens perspective to make the lower body appear inflated.  With that said, pretty happy with how it focused on the eyes.

My initial opinion is I would have a hard time carrying around a cropped sensor body and 25-50mm lens(es) "just in case" when I know the RX1 can deliver this.

Is anyone else actively using Extra Fine Jpeg for portraits?  I have one of my Memory Modes set up to address this need.  I shoot RAW for all else.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow