Backup, if you don’t do it, do it now

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: Backup, if you don’t do it, do it now
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, May 19, 2013

Sorry to hear about your new disk.  I've heard they are most likely to fail when they are new.  I also think that maybe drives aren't as reliable as they used to be.  All the more reason to have those backups, and have them up to date.

I have my photography drive and a backup drive, both large externals.  Besides that I have a 2T portable drive that has my images on it too as well as lightroom catalog.  And then most everything, at least the originals, are "in the cloud".

I wouldn't suggest using the cloud for your primary backup because getting them back could take AGES.  But it's nice because it's offsite.

I'm preparing to do a physical offsite backup.  I finally figured out where I can put a disk that is somewhere easy to get to. They say safe deposit boxes but I know I just won't go there to get it out and then take it back. To do an offsite backup in the easiest way you need two drives so you can switch them.

Then you have to keep your backups up to date.  I do not use automatic backups.  If you accidentally delete something and it immediately deletes it from your backup, what is the point of a backup?  I usually run my backup program any day I've worked with my photos, after I'm finished working with them.  The backup looks to see if there is anything new and copies it and deletes anything no longer on my primary drive.  There are different types.  You can choose to keep a copy of stuff you delete (which would save you in the accidental delete scenario above).  You can choose to leave everything you've ever had on the backup drive.  But I want the SAME on my backup as my primary.

I also keep backups of virtually everything else I do.  I try to "train" my programs to put my stuff where I know where it is which makes it easy to back up.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow