Don_Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,064
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shot in RAW
In reply to DonA2, May 19, 2013

Hi Don,

DonA2 wrote:

Very well stated and illustrated Don.

Thanks for the compliment. i thought that some pictures would help illustrate the issue.

I only shoot JPEG because it is good enough for my use.  Also I only use Picasa which limits editing somewhat.

JPG is good enough for many uses and I shoot JPG-only in particular when I want to have bursts of images to choose among.

The main reason for not shooting RAW is that it's just more work for so little gain with a small sensor camera.

The only thing in this post that I disagree with somewhat. It is exactly some of the limitations of small sensors that can be partially reduced or overcome with raw image processing.

The two greatest limitations of P&S camers are sensor noise and lack of dynamic range. The SX50, with its 12-bit per channel signal gives raws a dynamic range not seen in most other P&S cameras. That permits one the opportunity to get shadow detail and save blown highlights that is not available in most JPGs (although the various advanced shooting modes help in this somewhat).

Regards,

Don

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow