Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ed2002
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
Re: I think SLR sales will take a "hammering" soon, too.
In reply to rattymouse, May 19, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

GeorgeD200 wrote:

I think that DSLR sales will be dropping rapidly soon also.  I don't have hard numbers to back this up -- it's just a hunch, but I am "in the business."

DSLR sales are dramatically out pacing mirrorless and that is growing, not shrinking.

DSLR shipments dropped last quarter more than mirrorless.  Both gained market percentage if you don't include phones as cameras.

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/pdf/d-201303_e.pdf

DSLR market share is much higher than mirrorless.  2,600,765 for DSLR versus 603,532 for mirrorless shipments in Q1 or calender 2013.  This represents yoy decreased of 23.2% for DSLR and 18.5% for EVIL, but we should be cautioned that shipments do not equal sales.  Everyone likely shipped too many cameras in Q4 of 2012.   This has EVIL 18.8% of ilc.

It seem quite clear that EVIL is growing in market share, but this is a slow gain.  I would not expect EVIL to be half of ILC for at least 5 years.  Technology will also help push the ff side of DSLR further, but sony may produce a ff evil, that could be prefered for studio or landscape work.

The average consumer equates SLR's with quality over mirrorles.  That is clear as day here in China, where 90% or more of the cameras found in shops are SLR's and mirrorless is hard to find.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

I think this is one of the funny things I read shopping.

http://www.woot.com/offers/nikon-16-2mp-dslr-camera-w-18-55mm-lens?utm_medium=affiliate+-+woot.com&utm_source=Commission+Junction+Publisher+-+3006718&utm_campaign=Commission+Junction+-+10836818

You could snap pictures with your iPhone like everyone else, but by having a DSLR you'll really look like you know what you're doing. And isn't that what photography is all about? Your friends will ooh and ahh When you detach the included AF-S 18-55mm zoom lens. "Wow, that's like, a real camera!" they'll exclaim. Yes, yes it is.

I'm sure some buy dslrs for looks alone.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow