Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,997
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to Cytokine, May 19, 2013

Cytokine wrote:

John Motts wrote:

Cytokine wrote:

Thom rates the above 85's as second only to the $5000.00 200mm f2 prime for portraits. He also says that the 85 1.4d is not a flat field lens, so you can't judge the corners on a flat target, in the real 3d world the corners are fine, I think he gives the edge to the G version but that could just be for the in-built motor. I think the G version is slightly better as an all rounder, but I think I prefer the Bokeh on the D version.

I had the D for a couple of years and replaced it about a year ago with the G, mainly for its low light focussing ability. I've had a lot of use out of both.

The D was superb and I loved it, but if you want sharpness ouside of the centre the D is not really useable until it's well stopped down. There's a substantial difference.

Focussing is much better in low light with the G, whilst the bokeh is very similar in that both equally produce gorgeous results.

So while the G gets gold in the pentathlon, I think it is silver in the portrait event by half a whisker!

We'll just have to agree to disagree that it's half a whisker then. My eyes tell me otherwise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow