Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering
In reply to ed2002, May 19, 2013

ed2002 wrote:

The D3200 lacks the killer feature of the E-PM2: small size. They complement each other, and as long as no reasonably sized DSLRs exist,

People worried about size have better alternatives than the overpriced junk. Killer features are like the 24MP sensor in the D3200 or the ergonomics of a well designed DSLR like the D7000 or 7D of the blazing fast PDAF. Pretty much most DSLRs are reasonably sized and priced as well. For people who want light, there are many reasonable priced and good quality compacts.

I'm not so sure about that, and I am trying to make a decision between cameras like this now.  The kit lens on d3200 doesn't appear to be able to take any better pictures than the pm2 (or pl5 which is $100 more with flip lcd).  It also seemed to focus slower in my hand with the kit, then pm2 in the poor light of the store.  That means if I want to buy and get better performance than a pl5, I'm going to need better glass than the kit, raising the price, size, and weight of the nikon. Then the formus seem to say that I really need the d5200 instead, and that the nikon will require more post processing, etc.  Its a tough choice today, and I am trying to make it.  The m4/3 seems to do better on video too.

In 5 years, I expect that mirror less will drop in price lower than the dslrs, it just makes sense that they do.  Its hard to tell today which mirror-less system will win.

Yes, after a price drop, that will be a real contest. For DX slrs, upgrade lenses are not that expensive. A basic DSLR + 50mm 1.8 + 35mm 1.8 + 85mm 1.8 + kit lens = less than 1500 and the quality will beat any m43 combination within the same price range by a mile. You are ignoring the flexibility and cost effectiveness which a mature system like F-mount or the EF-mount or EF-S mount allows you.

I don't see what would replace cameras such as the E-PM2.

Going by the sales charts, D3200 or any point and shoot if budget and size are a consideration.

I really would like the smaller camera.  I don't have sales charts, but I am guessing today D3200 should be selling much better.  Its in every store, as is the nikon 1. You need to want to see a olympus camera or a pentax to try them out.

There are many options when u want to go for a smaller camera. You will also need to think about future expenses when you are buying into a system. Do you have enough disposable income for the expensive accessories including some things as basic as lens hoods. Sounds like complete rip-off to me if they make you buy lens hoods separately after buying some incredibly over-expensive lenses. From a money POV, this just doesnt make sense.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow