Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to John Motts, 11 months ago

John Motts wrote:

Cytokine wrote:

Thom rates the above 85's as second only to the $5000.00 200mm f2 prime for portraits. He also says that the 85 1.4d is not a flat field lens, so you can't judge the corners on a flat target, in the real 3d world the corners are fine, I think he gives the edge to the G version but that could just be for the in-built motor. I think the G version is slightly better as an all rounder, but I think I prefer the Bokeh on the D version.

I had the D for a couple of years and replaced it about a year ago with the G, mainly for its low light focussing ability. I've had a lot of use out of both.

The D was superb and I loved it, but if you want sharpness ouside of the centre the D is not really useable until it's well stopped down. There's a substantial difference.

Focussing is much better in low light with the G, whilst the bokeh is very similar in that both equally produce gorgeous results.

I would say the 85 1.4G is one of the best lenses Nikon has ever made, but as Photozone remarked

The Nikon 85mm f1.4G

"As you'd expect from a fast portrait lens the quality of background blur is in a very high level. However, there's a tad of nervousness, especially in the transition zone. Stopping down slightly helps to reduce the issue, though".

The Nikon 85mm f1.4D

The AF-D 85/1.4 delivers high quality in this regard, with smooth backgrounds right from its fastest aperture setting. There is a slight tendency towards some nervousness in the transition zone, but otherwise the background as well as foreground bokeh is very pleasing.

G

"There is a small amount of outlining and some traces of Bokeh fringing"

D

"There is almost no outlining, but some traces of LoCAs".

So while the G gets gold in the pentathlon, I think it is silver in the portrait event by half a whisker!

If you look at both lenses by the queens neck in the test photos you will see similar small diagonal lines, are Nikon using the same secret source or production method?

Their is an interesting Article from Zeiss on Bokeh in which they say that for a lens to blur rapidly it has to have very good optics.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow