Backup, if you don’t do it, do it now

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,509Gear list
Like?
Do you honestly think that people here don't back up properly?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, May 19, 2013

I doubt if we have any noobs on this forum; after all, computers have been around awhile. Most of us have things other than photos that also need backing up.

I, like many, follow the "Rule of Three" in backing up:

1.  Three backups (although I have about six, considering I have a Dell with multiple drives and an    iMac that has a Time Machine drive attached)

2.  Two kinds of media

3.  One offsite (I have three offsite - one at work, one at a girlfriend's place, and one online with Carbonite. The one at work is backed up weekly; the online backup is continuous)

I even carry 3 micro USB sticks in my wallet totaling 72 gig for important things, like my latest photos and videos. Because I use an iPad and phone, my photos (in reduced format, of course) and important videos are also on those. Since I also post the videos that I make (which often include stills) on YouTube, that is another kind of backup, although not a complete one, of course.

All of this, even the online service, is affordable...far less than a kit lens.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow