ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,719
Like?
Backup, if you don’t do it, do it now
May 19, 2013

I back up my internal hard drive once a week onto an external hard drive

My hard drive is very full mainly with photos so last week I invested in a new external hard drive, a 2TB monster with the intention of keeping my pictures on it.

I took across 85000 pictures having taken yet another backup to be sure.

Monday I was up and running and on Tuesday I deleted all the pictures from my original drive.

Job well done.  I have released a huge amount of space from my hard drive which should give me some PC performance benefits and I have all my pictures on a separate drive which I can move with me whatever  do with my PC.

On Friday I came home and the first thing I noticed was that the shortcuts on my desktop to my pictures weren’t working.  And sure enough I was unable to access any of my 85000 pictures.  The PC was showing that my new drive was healthy but instead of showing it being formatted as NTFS was showing RAW.

I bought the drive locally (another good strategy) so yesterday returned it. The retailer confirmed all data lost and handed me over a new drive.  They offered me the address of a data recovery expert which I declined.

Now the big question and the answer was yes. I was able to restore all my pictures as they were last Sunday.  I had done a few hours editing during the week which I lost but I’m grateful for small mercies.

So never underestimate the value of a backup and of you’re new to this game and it’s something you haven’t got around to, stop what you’re doing and do it now.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow