It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff Kott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to blue_skies, May 19, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

As to FOV, the 32mm (40mm FF), is a 'natural' FOV, but it heavily depends on you, the photographer, on how to use it. Natural meaning that when you look through the viewfinder, you roughtly see the equivalent of what you are seeing without a viewfinder. The 24mm makes you see 'more' (smaller) and the 35mm makes you see 'less' (larger). Even so, 32mm and 35mm are fairly close.

I agree with about everything Henry said, except his comments and arithmetic on Field of View.

First of all, 32 mm on an APS-C sensor will be a 48mm FF equivalent, not 40.

Second, 32 APS-C/48 FF is an awesome FOV. I know because I used my 31/1.8 Pentax on APS for years. The difference between 35 and 32 doesn't sound like much, but in practice I find the FOV of my 31 Pentax much easier to work with than my 35 OSS.

As far as the 32 vs. the Sony 24, you'll find that if you get close to people and try taking their photo they'll look more attractive with the 32 than the 24 because of distortion issues with the 24 (i.e., fat noses). Again, the difference between 24 and 32 may not sound like much, but when it comes to distortion and faces it will be noticeable.

One last thing - if you get the 35 OSS, won't you always be wondering how much better your photos will look with the better micro contrast of the Touit 32. I've seen Diglloyd's 32 Touit photos on the NEX 7 and I've ordered mine even though I have the 35 OSS.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow