Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170
Like?
found: mirrorless was not profitable
In reply to Jorginho, May 19, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

No I cannot I started noting times as soon as it wax clear they would return to the same subject over and over again. It takes 2 h or so I think, so I am not willing to do that. I heard it, if you listened to the whole article and you sure you did not hear it I am happy to admit I made a mistake.

Well, I wish I had could say I had something better to do in life, but I did listen to the whole presentation.

In fact, Olympus says that their mirrorless ILC camera business was break-even at best last year (i.e. Fiscal Year 2013, which ended March 31, 2013), but maybe (likely) a "little bit" loss-making (I say likely because of the wording of the answer, which is below.)

The statement occurs in the Q&A section of the audio presentation; it's in response to about the fourth or fifth question asked. The questioner directly asks: what was the profitability of mirrorless?

It's unclear whether the answer comes from Sasa (Olympus President) or Ogawa (Olympus Head of Imaging) because the translator doesn't identify the person who gives the answer. But his exact words (as translated into English by Olympus's translator are):

"From a total perspective, it was almost break-even, maybe a little bit of shortfall."

I note that "little bit" is open to some interpretation -- the Olympus executives participating in this presentation are all on the defensive about the Imaging Division. It's clear that there is significant shareholder (and probably some faction within the board of directors) pressure to close the whole division down.

The audio presentation can be listened to in whole or by section. Anybody who wants to check this can save themselves some time by listening to only the Question-and-Answer Session, which is clickable in the "Index" section on this page:

http://www.c-hotline.net/Viewer/Default/OLYM5d87987a66e557d8fa7f5e41719af874

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow