I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
Re: raw does have its benefits
In reply to Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg, May 19, 2013

Well Hossam, in a great majority of the use of digital images, JPEG is all you really need. But raw does have its benefits, even with the SX50. The 14 bit data in a Canon raw file have a lot more opportunity for correction or creativity than the 8 bit data in a JPEG file. And that can be important when it is the subtleties of the image that attract the lingering gaze of the viewer rather than the quick glance.

Not necessarily that those subtleties will show up in an internet posting, since that is likely to be "dumbed down" anyway by the conversion to JPEG. And most people only have 6 bit (/18 bit) or 8 bit (/24 bit) monitors that do not distinguish those subtleties anyway. But when edited in a color aware 16 bit environment like DPP and Photoshop CS (most people only use 8 bit editors) and presented on the proper medium like my 10 bit (/30 bit) professional monitors or calibrated prints of TIFF files, then raw shows its true strength and is well worth the effort.

Ed

Note: I hope the translator doesn't have too much trouble transcribing this post. My Egyptian friend gave a good effort in trying to teach me your language, but alas, I never became very good at it.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow