How many cameras do you need?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,471Gear list
Like?
Need? None, unless...
In reply to ianbrown, May 19, 2013

Unless a person is a professional photographer who makes his/her livelihood with a camera or some other profession that requires a camera as a tool, no one NEEDS any camera. You need air, water, food, and clothing, but certainly not a camera. If suddenly all cameras owned by non-professionals were to vanish, life would go on.

That said, I own three DSLR bodies, lenses for them that cover the equivalent of 28-896mm, two pocket cameras that cover the equivalent of 24-360mm, and last month I bought a Fuji HS50 superzoom P&S that covers the equivalent of 24-1000mm and I have shot with nothing else but the HS50 since then except for one outing of night photography, which I can shoot handheld with my Canon 60D but not the HS50 which would a tripod for night work.

I'm retired but still sell a photo or two now and then and recently sold three poster sized photos that were shot nine years ago with an 8MP Minolta A2 P&S, so since the HS50 is much better in all regards than the A2 was, I figure the HS50 is the camera I would keep if I were forced to keep only one. The HS50 has an amazingly good lens and its IQ is certainly good enough for all but the most demanding requirements.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Gordon
_
Photography since 1950 • Digital since 1999
My online photo galleries

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow