Why does Apple not sell an OSX that runs on PCs?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Why does Apple not sell an OSX that runs on PCs?
11 months ago

This is meant as a serious question. I am trying  to start a flame war.

Apple markets their MacBooks for use with either OSX or Windows. I was recently at an Apple Store and the sales people kept telling me that I could buy a MacBook and put Windows on it if I wished. OK. But my question is why Apple does not market a version of OSX that will run on a PC.

I assume (and accept) that OSX will not run on a PC as it is, but surely Apple could market a PC compatible version that would run properly on the PC (after all, it is only software). If they did so they presumable would increase the number of OSX users and, in the end, perhaps sell more MacBooks. They would also allow people who are not familiar with OSX to try it out on dual-boot systems. Why don't they do this? Or is OSX already PC compatible?

I, for one, am not a Mac fan. I have used one personally and written software for a Mac, but my personal computer is a PC. However I have always assumed that OSX was easier for non-technical people and would like to put OSX on my wife's PC to allow her to determine if she would rather use it than Windows 7. I don't want to buy an expensive MacBook just to let her try it out and if there was a PC compatible version of OSX I could let her play with it for a while. I just don't think there is such an animal. And I keep wondering why.

ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow