Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Melando
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
The full image chain: camera, monitor and eye
May 19, 2013

I had just the opportunity to view some of my digital images on a 8 Megapixel screen. I was very impressed by the viewing quality, never seen before. Now for the first time I could enjoy the capability of the cam. For sure it has already been discussed elsewhere. When talking about image quality it is about resolution AND colors. My DP2 Merrill provides 15 real megapix without noticeable blur. How can I use this number of pixels? 1. I could print enlarged, impressive due to the full resolution but not for the colors. 2. I could make a crop and view on my screen, nice colors but it is not the full image, not impressive. 3. Get a monitor that fits to the visual (corrected) resolution of my eyes, this is the best option as I learned.

So at first I created a simple test pattern to determine the resolution of my eyes and calculate the matching resolution of a monitor. I assumed that the viewing distance equals the display width. One could call it a retina display and it requires about 20 Megapixels. This is not far from 15 Megapixels of my Merrill. Image resizing works well for blurred images from a BAYER chip. But this does not apply to the sharp images of the FOVEON chip. Any resizing/interpolation would result in significant loss of information. So the best solution would be a monitor that displays 15 Megapixels of the FOVEON 1:1, without interpolation. I have to wait until that monitor becomes affordable. The image quality (colors and resolution) of the full signal chain (from cam to eye) is often disregarded in favor of discussing single items like cameras, printers.

Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow