Upgrade to K5II or IIs or wait for the next model?

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
miles500
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
Upgrade to K5II or IIs or wait for the next model?
May 19, 2013

This has been my dilemma ever since the K5II was announced and like some other members I have been reluctant to shell out for this upgrade in case a more major one should appear in the near future, whenI might feel that my money was better spent.

On the other hand I am just a little frustrated with the autofocus performance of my K5 when photgraphing anything which moves and I am wondering whether the improved autofocus of the K5II would be worth having now.  Low light performance is not a particular concern but it seems logical to suppose that good low light performance would go hand in hand with better overall AF performance.

Of course some of my failures may well be down to some form of user error of lack of technique on my part .  Yesteday I visited a wildfowl reserve and was a little depressed at the proportion of poorly focussed images even though I was using spot and continuous focus with a monopod and taking some care.   I realise that the focus point may well be somewhat larger than the red spot would suggest and maybe that is the cause. As for birds in flight - well one in ten was reasonably close to focus but not spot on. On the other hand where the focus does lock on properly on less mobile subjects, I do get sharp images, so I am not worried about the lens/camera calibration.

My question is really addressed to those who have taken the plunge and upgraded to the K5II.  Is the improved autofocus worth the outlay?

-- hide signature --

Miles500

miles500's gear list:miles500's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +5 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow