It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,770Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

Pjjava34 wrote:

I'm ready to spend some bucks and get a great prime..the cost is not as important right now, but I'm not stupid with my $ and want to make sure the IQ will be worth the extra $400-500 for the Zeiss glass. I'm torn between the three options and wanted some guidance from others' experiences.

I shoot a mix of stills and videos and know that the Sony 35mm has the OSS but have heard it doesn't do much in the way of help for video. The Touit is scheduled for release in June and the initial reviews look splendid.

Do you guys think the Touit will out perform the elder 24mm Zeiss in IQ or video?

Should I skip Zeiss all together and get the Sony 35mm with OSS?

I'm not a pro, nor a pixel peeper but do appreciate sharp images across the board and lenses that can autofocus fast in video mode.

I'm okay with the focal lengths of them all. Any insight on which glass will provide the best still/video combo I greatly appreciate.

I would include the Sigma 30mm as well. It is a stop slower, but it is a very impressive lens in its own right.

Sony has three video stabilization systems, OSS, SSS and BOSS. OSS is in the kit lens and the longer E prime lenses, SSS is in the 18200, and BOSS is only found in the handycams. These system arrest progressively more camera movement for smoother video.

All OSS lenses will arrest the typical camera 'jitter' that can make videos unwatchable. Even the 24mm, with the wider FOV, is not great for video usage. If low light video is a must have, consider the E35 or the E50 lenses, otherwise stick to the kit lens when you can (or go tripod).

If you do stick to the kit lens for video, you open up more possibilities for prime lens choices.

I have a feeling that the Touit 32/1.8 will be the most impressive of these four lenses, simply based on the Zeiss' formula, and on how these lenses perform in that FL with the Zeiss label.

Pros already are given heads up to the Touit lens: Diglloyd

Even so, Zeiss is stretching the Planar design down to 32mm, and the Sonnar design (E24Z) to 24mm. Traditionally, these FLs used to be Biogon designs. Of these three design styles, the Planar will score the highest in test-comparisons, especially wide open, as long as Zeiss can make it handle the FOV properly, which so far seems to be the case.

As to FOV, the 32mm (40mm FF), is a 'natural' FOV, but it heavily depends on you, the photographer, on how to use it. Natural meaning that when you look through the viewfinder, you roughtly see the equivalent of what you are seeing without a viewfinder. The 24mm makes you see 'more' (smaller) and the 35mm makes you see 'less' (larger). Even so, 32mm and 35mm are fairly close.

The E24Z is a much heralded lens, and from f/2.2 upwards it is unbeatable, but you have to like the 24mm FOV. Geometric distortion already creeps in, and you have to begin to get closer to your action, and watch face distortion (not a great portrait length).

If you want to play it safe, the E35 OSS lens is the most 'all-round' lens, that you can keep on all day and night. However, indoors, you may find its FOV a bit too narrow. (In fact, a 20mm may work better there).

And then there is budget.

I would recommend the E35, given the way you phrase your question. It is truly a good lens, and it is the most versatile of the group.

My second choice would be the E24Z, given its reputation, and the wider FOV which is practical under many circumstances. It really is the widest f/1.8 AF lens that you can get.

My third choice would be the Touit lens, even though I expect it to be the highest performer.

My fourth choice would be the Sigma 30mm, because at f/2.8 it is a full stop slower, without OSS, and does not let you be as creative with DOF/bokeh as the other choices would.

Also, do think about what other primes you may want to add in the future. Two typical series could be 12, 24, 50 and 16, 30, 60. Zeiss is now covering 12, 24(Sony), 32 and 50, while the Sony E35 and E50 are impressive lenses in their own right, especially given the inclusion of OSS.

And, something to consider, why not pick up the Gen-1 Sigma 18mm and 30mm combo at the discount price, and use these to get your feet wet with prime lenses? Then, as you evolve your shooting style, you may have a better feel as to what might work the best for you.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow