Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ClarkC
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Protrait Technical Questions: OMD / Zuiko 45mm / Leica 25mm
May 19, 2013

I acquired an OMD earlier this year as a first “serious” camera along with the Zuiko 45mm and Leica 25mm. I am also learning to use Lightroom which has proven to be a revelation. I enjoy portrait photography and the 45mm is perfect for this: fast and responsive. The 25mm with its wider angle is better suited for full body shots. So far, I have been generally delighted with the results (I have attached a couple of shots with the 45mm which I like but which I am sure leave much to be desired technically: thoughts welcome!). I have certainly learned a lot from my experiments!

However, I have a couple of questions re technique (third shot attached which has both problems!):

Fill-flash: How can I employ fill-flash in bright conditions outdoors? Yesterday, I was using the 45mm at a wide aperture (for shallow DOF); w/o flash the camera was telling me I needed a shutter speed of 1/1000 (or faster) and when I tried to switch on the flash (in any mode, I tried many!), the OMD showed me a blinking “250” (I assume this is the max speed for use with flash?). Any ideas?

Focus strategy: I use auto-focus all the time. Normally I use the face recognition (and eye recognition) which provides a helpful white square when “locked on”. This generally seems to work although sometimes it does not find a match and I usually wait, hoping a match will come, or I may regroup and restart the focus process (can be frustrating for the subject: mostly my girlfriend!). If no match ensues, I try to get the central green frame on the face (I read about focusing on the eyes but do not understand this as the whole face is normally framed by a larger green square) and then reframe. Occasionally I am disappointed to find the focus is not right and assume there must be a better way!

Any input on any of the above much appreciated!

OMD + Zuiko 45mm

OMD + Zuiko 45mm

OMD + Zuiko 45mm: No fill flash, missed focus

ClarkC's gear list:ClarkC's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow