Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Started May 14, 2013 | Questions thread
bkpix
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890
In reply to faith_ps, May 19, 2013

Hi Jakop,

Interesting question for me personally, as I bought a 24-inch printer (a used 7600) a couple years ago and occasionally still wish I'd held out for a 44-inch 9600.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from your question it doesn't sound as if you have a lot of high-end printing experience. If you don't, might it make more sense to work gradually into what you want to do? Perhaps with a smaller printer, or a used one?

A new 7890 costs a a chunk of money. So does the ink you'll burn through learning to use it right. I was able to find my used 7600 for $500. It works flawlessly -- and I think this is important, I'm not intimidated about working on it myself. (I live in rural Oregon, and qualified Epson techs are about as common here as baby Sasquatch.)

There is a LOT to learn about these monsters, and after two years of printing I am very much still learning.

Don't let me discourage you, though. Buying a big printer was one of the best things I've done for my photography. (Now about finding that used 9600....)

Bob

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow