Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to John Motts, 11 months ago

John Motts wrote:

Jonathan Siegel wrote:

It would be a coin toss for me. I love both lenses, although I own the 85mm f1.4AFD, not the G, however I do not think there is an enormous difference, optically, between the D and G.

Not a huge difference at the centre but the G is very different at the edges. Even right open the G is much sharper at the edges.

Thom rates the above 85's as second only to the $5000.00 200mm f2 prime for portraits. He also says that the 85 1.4d is not a flat field lens, so you can't judge the corners on a flat target, in the real 3d world the corners are fine, I think he gives the edge to the G version but that could just be for the in-built motor. I think the G version is slightly better as an all rounder, but I think I prefer the Bokeh on the D version.

To answer the OP I would get one of the nine bladed above 1.4's then get the 135 next. Having the 85 already it might well be my next lens.

If buying a non Nikon portrait lens with a molded aspherical design, look for onion rings in the Bokeh circles. This is caused by the machine marks in the female mold tool, which is why Canon use a precision ground aspherical in their portrait lens. but it cost $2000 +

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow