Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,226
Like?
Get back 'Save As...' in Mountain Lion exactly as it was in Snow Leopard
May 19, 2013

Lion decoupled the act of creating a copy of a document (from within an application) and the act of giving the copy a name (and location) and thus made it into a two-step operation for those applications that adopted the new document model with auto-save and versioning. It did this to highlight and nudge users to actually make us of the auto-save feature which enables you to start a new document and have it saved without you first having to decide on a name (and location) for it.

While Apple's intentions might have been honorable, people didn't like to be nudged. And for what might have been some arcane consistency ideals, they did not give the first step of this new two-step operation a keyboard shortcut. While the latter could be easily rectified by anybody with enough curiosity, probably far from everybody actually did it. For those who did, one shortcut had to be replaced by two (ie, hit, eg, cmd-shift-S and then hit cmd-S). While in the end only a minor annoyance, it seemed like an unnecessary one.

In the end Apple agreed and gave us Save As back in Mountain Lion but only to those who were actively looking for it. One has to press alt while opening the File menu to access it and see its shortcut (which was rather difficult to execute, cmd-alt-shift-S). They also added an easier but limited implementation, hit the familiar cmd-shift-S and rename the copy of the file by just typing and hitting enter. It worked by letting cmd-shift-S (aka Duplicate) make the file name in the titlebar editable and switch focus to it. This however didn't let you choose a new destination for the new file, and even just changing the position and appearance of the editable name field was too much for some people.

The short version:

But in a somewhat hidden way Apple also gave us the option to get back the Save As exactly like we were used to it. As detailed by multiple people one just had to add a keyboard shortcut for Save As (cmd-shift-S) AND for Duplicate (something that was not already used, eg, cmd-alt-shift-S) as neatly summarised in this screenshot. And this probably was such a no-brainer to me that I had completely forgotten that I had done this. Something like walking past an open window and closing it without retaining a memory of doing it.

In regard to reports that the Mountain Lion Save As differs from previous OS versions by still adding changes to the original file after invoking Save As, I have never been able to reproduce them and I can only assume they were due to bugs that were later fixed.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow