Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,332Gear list
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to Guidenet, May 19, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Lance, nice image.

Thank you very much, Craig.

I'd like to point out something to others.

Notice how an experienced photographer doesn't automatically go to f/1.4 on a lens such as this. He went to f/5 which was just enough to blur the background and isolate the subject and yet allow easy recognition of that background. In my opinion, that's what makes an environmental portrait work well at times. Nicely executed and a good lesson for all of us.

Another nice part is to notice how the background gracefully changes as the aperture becomes smaller. The bokeh doesn't become too busy. Everything still creams nicely. I think is is one of the real strengths and why you might pay more for the Nikon 85 f/1.4G.

Thanks, Lance, and take care.

I am glad that you noticed this, Craig and I really appreciate your comments. As you say, too often people immediately go for too shallow DOF in order to utilise the lens' excellent capability in that area, but without thinking about what will be enough DOF. As you obviously realise, when you are this close to a subject with a lens fo this focal length you need an aperture like f5 to get decent DOF, yet enough to keep the subject nicely isolated.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow