LX7 external EVF

Started May 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,802
Like?
Re: LX7 external EVF
In reply to SwatOx, May 19, 2013

SwatOx wrote:

I use the ClearViewer, but only on a sunny/bright day: otherwise there is a lot of guess work on composition. The ClearViewer is really a magnifying glass: more like a large plastic magnifying glass.

It is a GLASS magnifier.

It won't give you sharpness or anything fancy,

It ia sharp enough to EASILY see the individual dots on the LCD.

but it is a life saver *for me* on sunny days. And I take it off and put in my pocket when not in use.

Are you sure you are talking about a folding Clearviewer, and not the early - and now superceded version which slips into the hotshoe? If the camera HAS a hotshoe?

It would take time to remove & re-install it - I just flip it closed as I return my camera - in it's plastic bag - to my pocket, and flip it open as I draw it from my pocket to take a picture, in the same motion as turning on the camera.

I probably use it 25% of the time, if that. But it is really useful. Of course, the EVF sold for the LX7 is no doubt a lot better -- but it is bulky...and expensive....

I haven't seen the add-on EVF, but I do have 2 cameras with EVFs, and the Clearviewer is at least as good - maybe better, as the image is much larger.

The "Regular" CV does blur the extreme corners a bit which doesn't bother me - rarely are the extreme corners important in a composition & I can actively 'look' for the corners.

HOWEVER, should the corners bother you, get a Premium (slightly less magnification) CV and the corners are just fine.

Recently I was testing some other cameras & I recall looking out the door and seeing some of our wild turkeys displaying, so I went back in, grabbed the ZS19 (for it's 20x Zoom) - and discovered that the Clearviewer was on the other camera! Gadzooks! I couldn't utilize the zoom at all!

That taught me a lesson: ALWAYS have your clearviewer on your camera (and; it protects the LCD, too)

I use mine 100% of the time. 

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
carizi MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow