windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?
Re: Value
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 19, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

windsprite wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Introducing the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x – improved performance and versatility for professional sports and wildlife photographers.

This lens was announce this week and will sell for $11,800.

Is this thing twice as good as the 90-250mm, which retails new for about one-half this price?

That's not the question.  The question is:  will enough people buy the lens for Canon to make an acceptable profit?  Their marketing experts seem to think so.

I'm no Canon fan, but let's give the devil his due:  they make bodies that convince people to spring for expensive lenses.

Julie

Julie--the question is why invest in FT?  The answer for me is value.

Other people obviously have different answers and if they have a different answer and can spring for $12k they can have the aforementioned lens.

I managed to purchase a mint 90-250mm from a reputable dealer for $2,900.   and I have enough change left over to take a trip to use it with plenty still left in the bank.

I give Canon their due but not my money.  It is better invested elsewhere.

OK, but personally I can't see myself spending $2,900 on *any* lens, even a superb one like the 90-250 (congratulations on getting a great deal, BTW).  Does that make yours a bad value?  No, of course not.  Does the fact that you would not spend $11,800 on the Canon 200-400 make that lens a poor value?  Of course not.

It seems, though, that there is something about Canon (and Nikon) which convinces people in sufficient numbers to pay $5,000+ for camera bodies and $10,000+ for certain lenses.  Sure, some people will buy that stuff just because they have money to burn, but surely that's not all there is to it.  As a system, those body-lens combinations give sport and wildlife shooters an entirely different level of performance and support that frankly you can't buy in four thirds, for any price.  Yes, Oly has some fantastic lenses, and the 2x magnification is a definite plus for some applications, but the optics are in a sense orphaned; that is to say, they have never had the bodies behind them to make them shine to their full potential.  In the telephoto realm, fast, accurate autofocus, tracking ability, frame rate, and clean high ISO are some of the biggies.  Some people may say, "I don't need those things."  Well, that's fine, but you can't ignore the people who do and hope to enjoy success as a sports/wildlife system.

When somebody says that kind of thing, some four thirds shooters take it as a putdown of the system, or they take it to mean that you can't take good pictures with Oly, but that's not at all the point.  It just happens that some systems are better suited for some tasks than others.  Oly has its strengths, too, but it can't be as good as or better than EVERY brand at EVERYTHING.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow