Started May 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oldphotog2
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
What camera to choose in down sizing?
May 18, 2013

I'm a retired photojournalist of 15 yrs. I began my career as a combat-aerial photog for Vietnam & served 5 yrs. Got a B.A. in photojournalism and worked for four state newspapers, freelanced for Associated Press, and stock-photo agencies, for 25 yrs. Then came debilitating injury that put me on disability 15 yrs ago. I've sold photo gear to pay for medical bills in the past few years and am left with a Nikon D-200 with battery pack & vertical grip, 12-24mm f4 lens, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens, an old 35-70mm f2.8, and an SB-800 with two SB26 for the slaves. In the last 3 yrs if my camera is around my neck more then 30 minutes I black out. Docs have no answer. No longer do I shoot sports, do news, feature stories, etc. I keep having to tell my self that having the best is no longer needed. But I want to be prepared just in case. Old habits. I've got to down size.

So I've been researching for many months reading blogs, reviews, etc., and I'm no better off. When I think I've narrowed things down, something I find changes my mind.

APS-C sensors are just fine. I'd love to own the Fuji X-E1, however no support for raw files from Adobe, poor low light focusing, & pricey.

That leaves smaller sensors which all have a bad problem of having to great depth-of-field. I was almost convinced to get the Nikon P7700 for I could still use my SB-800, but 1.17 sensor is tiny. I doubt I'll make a 16X20 print, but I'd like to just in case. This knocks out the Leica D-Lux 6 too.

I've been a Nikon user since 1972! But the Nikon 1 system is also pricey and small sensor, marketed for beginners stepping up from P&S. Just a bit bigger then 1.17 sensor.

I don't like Canon at all so that line is out, along with Sony. To me that leaves just Olympus and the 4/3 system, but nobody in my state carries Olympus to look at one. I'm interested in the new P5 or the PL-5. Yet the problems of Olympus makes me wonder if they will survive, or the 4/3 system.

Perhaps my photo days are over.  Thoughts anyone?

oldphotog2's gear list:oldphotog2's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Leica D-Lux 6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow