Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I think SLR sales will take a "hammering" soon, too.
In reply to GeorgeD200, May 18, 2013

GeorgeD200 wrote:

I think that DSLR sales will be dropping rapidly soon also.  I don't have hard numbers to back this up -- it's just a hunch, but I am "in the business."

DSLR sales are dramatically out pacing mirrorless and that is growing, not shrinking.

The bottom line is that any technology item can reach a market saturation point.  Compact cameras did (and cameraphones didn't help), computers did, memory cards did, LCD TVs did.  Sure, they're still manufacturing and selling these items, but the market isn't growing as it once did, and in some cases it's shrinking.

So much technology marketing is based on the "new and improved" model.  Buy our SLR because it's bigger/better/faster/more.  That works for a while, but then the cameras reach such a level that most consumers realize that they don't need more.  90% of DSLR buyers don't need more than 12 megapixels (and they're starting to figure that out).  50% of DSR buyers don't care if their camera can do 1080p instead of 720p.  Etc. etc.  Again, I guessing on these numbers, not using market research, but I think the premise is sound.

When technological advances get less exciting, sales suffer.  The jump from 16 to 24mp just isn't that interesting.  Of course, camera quality is about more than megapixels, but most consumers don't care about 1 stop of ISO noise level improvement or a Digic 4 vs. Digic 5 processor either.

Before you flame me that you do care about a 30% increase in resolution or 1 stop of high ISO noise reduction, remember that YOU ARE NOT THE AVERAGE CONSUMER.  The average consumer doesn't spend time discussing their purchases on forums.  We are an important market segment, but we're not the largest or most "normal" segement.

JMO

The average consumer equates SLR's with quality over mirrorles.  That is clear as day here in China, where 90% or more of the cameras found in shops are SLR's and mirrorless is hard to find.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow