Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927
Like?
Re: What hammering?
In reply to Jeff, May 18, 2013

Jeff wrote:

This doesn't look like a gloom and doom picture to me.  It's not great -- certainly not the hockey stick growth of smartphones.  On the other hand, is looks like MILC's may have expanded the market a bit (albeit lowering the average price, with some cannibalization of slr sales).

Oly, Panasonic, Fuji, and even Sony are ceding the low end to smartphones -- whether they want to or not -- and appear to be ceding the high end professional market to Nikon, Canon.  That doesn't leave much room in the middle.

The business is not for wimps. And Oly strategy has absolutely no room for error. A killer product released in time for Christmas shipment would be a start and, looking at the chart above, make their forecast. On the other hand, losing market share would have pretty ugly consequences. So execution is critical.

-

I'd agree with that, I think much of the mirrorless market is operating between the traditional compact and DSLR areas rather than depending mostly on stealing market share from the latter(this is more Fuji's X system and the likes of the GH3/OM-D) as often seems to be talked up here.

As you say though its a very crowded market, DSLR's are a larger market and you've really only got 4 manifactures selling mainstream cameras, You've got Oly, Panny, Sony, Samsung, Nikon, Fuji, Ricoh and now Canon going after the mirrorless market, I'm guessing that long term theres probabley only going to be room for half of them or less.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow