Started May 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,274Gear list
Like?
My new D7100 & AF-S 80-400mm
May 18, 2013

Just took the plunge today with my biggest single spend on camera gear. After studying these forums and many others, including review sites I bought a shiny new Nikon D7100 and the spanking new AF-S 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 ED VR.

First impressions on the camera are that it feels more substantial in the hand than the 7000. The grip is thicker. The layout is very similar to the D600 rather than the previous model. It thankfully has a 100% crop on the OK button which was missing on the previous one. A bit of a nitpick is that the USB socket is smaller than the older one so I can't use my old cables, unless I can get a simple adaptor.

The lens looks a real beast. I remember seeing the older version & thinking that looked big but this one is huge. It is very light however, because I compared it in the shop to my 70-200mm 2.8 vr1 and although the 80-400mm is noticeably bigger it is also much lighter. The tripod collar is a little weedy looking and I have heard a couple of moans about it. I think there are already replacement collars available but it does seem a bit daft to go out and replace a tripod collar on a lens costing well over £2000 GBP. I think I will live with the original.

So the first impressions are very good but now I just need some decent weather to go out and try them. Today was very wet, tomorrow looks fine though. I'm looking forward to using my new combo.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow