On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,705Gear list
Like?
Re: Gareth, I always read your posts and usually find them
In reply to Big Ga, May 18, 2013

to be accurate and thoughtful.  And funny.  This time I have to respectfully disagree.  You mention that somewhere out there , there is an E-3 that had decent AF.  Mine did.

In fact I never had any problem with that camera at all except for the delamination of the LCD which Oly USA fixed at no charge even though the camera was out of warranty.

I could get decent JPGS up to ISO 800, and with the use of my NIK noise filter software I could get useable images to 1600.

I had no problem with the AF.  It went where I wanted it to go.  It did slow down in low light, as does my E-5, but I found it to be a very useful camera.  When I got my E-5 I sold the E-3 to a local pro who uses Oly equipment and needed a back-up for his E-5.  He used the camera for a couple of months with no problems and bought it.  He does a lot of work around water (water skiing) and need a sealed body.

Don't know why you had such poor luck, but really I had little to complain about with that camera and a lot to like about it.  I rarely use CAF, and use AF on small normal sensitivity.  I typically will put the center AF sensor on whatever I want to be sharp, half press and recompose.  If that won't do, then I move the AF to the sensor that's closest to my spot.  Never had and problem.  Pretty much the same with the E-5.

For 400.00 I still think it's a good buy.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow