If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,760Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 18, 2013

I too can agree with what has been said so far.  The 5DIII excels in every aspect except fps and 1.6X crop factor.

I have always grumbled about the poor focus of the 7D as I guess my expectations for accurate AF was too high and my lack of ability was too low compared to others on the 7D forum. The 5DIII is able to get more accurate AF with the same lens than what the 7D is capable of within my abilities for tracking birds under varying light and air density conditions. I guess others too acknowledge this when they say they have a much higher keeper ratio with the 5D Mk III.

I have kept the 7D as the camera body that can be left in my unattended vehicle along with a telephoto lens with the thought that I'd rather have it stolen than the 5D III.  So it still gets used when I decide that I don't want to first go home after work to get the more valued gear prior to shooting.

The 5DIII is twice the price of the 7D and was the price that Canon demanded in order to have a much more consistently capable body.  A successor to the 7D continues to be an ever longer waiting game with only unsubstantiated rumors. The decision to purchase the 5DIII was a good one as it provides better images when the focal length is not as much a limitation and with real world lighting conditions that are not always anywhere close to ideal. That high ISO 3200 and 6400 does work whereas the 7D would have turned the resultant image to sawdust.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow