On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,000Gear list
Like?
Re: Adding another 4 cents to the discussion ...
In reply to Rriley, May 18, 2013

Rriley wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Rriley wrote:

I would like to see these statistics that describe how cameras with better IQ sell better. I mean if this were true, given that 43rds is no longer a part of Olympus stats in any meaningful way, why does Olympus still find itself in financial trouble.

Ask the last CEO. And why do you suppose Olympus gave up on 4/3 if it was such a hot seller for them?

Im not asking the CEO, you made a a claim I want to hear how you arrived at your conclusion, b/se on what I know your claim isnt true.

The corporate corruption was a big part, hence asking the CEO or else read up on what happened yourself.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39594156

That + poor 4/3 sales after a pile of money was put into R&D. The CEO was quoted as saying they need to cleans house and shed unprofitable businesses. Guess what? They quit producing new 4/3 bodies. They didn't stop making 4/3 gear because it was a profit center.

The other thing that hurt was improved cell phones so the lower end P&S market fell apart.

You can "know" whatever you'd like People shifted away or didn't buy into 4/3 mainly IMHO because they kept using dated sensor designs. At any point in time, the 4/3 models lagged behind in noise levels. Or maybe you have another idea of why Nikon and Canon models sold in such higher numbers if it wasn't IQ. It's the reason I switched to Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow