Mirrorless Takes Another Hammering

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,192
Like?
Re: If Mark Twain were alive
In reply to robert1955, 11 months ago

robert1955 wrote:

... he'd have to add to 'lies, damn lies and statistics' 'numbers presented by rattymouse'

Actually I think you raise an interesting point. We see on DPreview and various blogs all sorts of numbers for camera sales - amazon.com sales figures extrapolated for the whole industry or Japanese sales data extrapolated globally.

Now I find that the best numbers come from 2 sources. First is the published corporate data posted by the likes of Nikon, Canon and Olympus to their stock exchanges. Admittedly submitting false accounting data isnt unheard of from camera companies but there you go. Secondly the Cipa data - http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/dizital.html - posted monthly which shows global shipments (admittedly not sales).

Now the reason I like this data is that the 'micro' - i.e. company sales data - broadly reconciles the 'macro' - i.e. global shipment data.

So, for instance, the CIPA numbers show that for 2012 digital camera sales were down 15% in unit terms and up 1.1% in value terms (yen). This reflects a big fall - -22% - in compact sales but a 28% rise in higher priced ILC sales.

Now that the fact that the digital camera market might have increased sales by 1.1% (value) in 2012 might be a surprise to a few people. But if we look at Nikon US$5.8bn sales (-2%) and Canon US$14.2bn (+7%) it broadly reconciles bearing in mind that digital cameras make up 65% and 40.5% of their sales respectively. Furthermore if we workout Nikon/Canon's digital camera sales as a percentage of the total CIPA figures it works out at just over 61% which sounds about right.

Finally if we take say Olympus mirrorless camera sales to March 2013 of 38.7bn yen and adjust their sales for full year 2012 we find that their Olympus mirrorless sales were 37.1bn yen for 2012. Cipa estimates that mirrorless was 125bn yen out of a total market of 1485bn yen with a market shares of 8.5% (this might be smaller than people imagine). So that gives Olympus a 29.7% share of global mirrorless sales in 2012 which again sounds about right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow