Started May 17, 2013 | Questions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,151Gear list
Like?
Re: New iMac What & Where to get software
In reply to Boydsta, May 18, 2013

Boydsta wrote:

Alpha Doug wrote:

I would say that Lightroom or Aperture as your primary image "all in one" program, supplemented by a pixel editor like Photoshop (now only available as Photoshop CC on a monthly "rental" basis), or one of the many third party pixels editors such as Pixelmator, Acorn, or Photoline, or Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Elements might be all you need, but it's kind of pricey for what it is.  You might try Pixelmator.  It is unbelievably cheap and works quite well.  Available through the Mac App store in your dock.  Some on this forum swear by Photoline.  Also, there are third party plugins that run either inside or alongside Aperture or Lightroom from Nik (now owned by Google), OnOne Software, Alien Skin Software, Imagenomics, Topaz Systems, etc.  OnOne has a layering plugin called "Perfect Layers" that does a pretty good job of pixel editing.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Thanks Doug, a few options there for me to do some homework on.

As far as pixel editing, I will require basic layer control and the ability to bring in elements from other images which I currently can't do in LR. 4.4.  I havent tried the beta version 5 but I dont expect it to enable this.

Neither Lightroom or Aperture are "pixel level" editors.  They are non-destructive RAW editors.  Along with being very good organizing, cataloguing, sorting and rating programs, allowing creation of slideshows and web galleries, uploading to various social and photographic sites, photo book creation and printing.  Only pixel level editing (layers, selections, masks, etc.) need to be "outsourced".  Fairly simple layering is available for both from OnOne "Perfect Layers".  If more is needed, pair Aperture with Pixelmator, or GIMP.  Should be all you'll ever need.  Or just get or buy CS5 or CS6 Photoshop and use it for however long you can make it last.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow