Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aly Oops
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to teknos, May 18, 2013

I use the D800 with my lenses and love it.

For indoor and portraits, the 85mm f/1.4 is worth the extra cost.  If you need that extra lighting.

The 85mm f/1.8 is cheaper but you may want to consider 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, which I have.

I'm blown away with this lens.

It is sharp, detailed, resolution wise, fast, has as good bokeh as the 85mm f/1.4 and better than 85mm f/1.8 from my results. You will have the reach and all those in between focal length.

I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8 which I use primarily as my landscape lens.  It just great and you can get good bokeh with it.

I have the 105mm f/2.8 VR (actually VRII), it great for closeup that can't be done with the other lens I have, but for portraits it not as good but nicely usable. Not that good for landscape.

You have to decide what you need. I didn't want to compromise or live with almost what I wanted. I needed 3 lens to cover all my interest.

The fourth lens could be wild life, but not my interest at this time.  I did try the new doubler version III, I like it, it a nice way to get 140-400mm on my 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. Sharp but not detailed, lacked some resolution on closeups. If I can't see the dandruff on the flowers, don't consider it as good resolution, otherwise is great.

Hope this helps in your decisions.  Save and get what you really need.

Aly Oops's gear list:Aly Oops's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow