Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pierrrrrrre
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)
In reply to Bassam Guy, May 18, 2013

Bassam Guy wrote:

Honestly, I think you are focused too much on the body. Think system and think glass. I shoot today with lenses I bought over 30 years ago (when I can deal with manual focus :). Their original bodies are long long gone.

Well, people told me exactly the same 6 years ago when I bought my first DSLR.

But in the end, some Nikon bodies don't work with non-motorized lenses, etc.

I have an old manual focus macro lens my dad gave me, and honestly I never use it, apart from little tests.

And if I buy a mirrorless camera, I don't plan on buying an adapter to end up with 50% of the functionalities of those lenses unusuable...

The plethora and quality of m43 lenses cannot be ignored. How many does Sony have now? 8, all from Sony?

Whichever body you buy, in six months you'll eye a newer one. How long do you honestly think you'll keep whichever body you choose? 1 year? Two?

Well, I used my first DSLR for 6 years (Nikon D50), and I was not planning on buying a new one until my sister asked for a very cheap DSLR solution... I gave her my D50 and bought a second hand D7000.

I almost bought an OM-D but asked myself the same question. My honest answer led me to buy an E-PL5 for $500 + 2 lenses + FL-600R = $OM-D. Weather sealing! The OM-D is rugged and made to last far past when I'd put it up on ebay. But, of course, only you know how valuable its durability is to you.

My E-PL5 will last the year or two before I replace it but the lenses and flash will stay with me as will the VF-2 my friend gave to me.

I'm also a bit worried that if you couldn't get enough sharpness with the Nikon D7000 + 24mm f2.8D combo then a new body won't improve things. Do you shoot at 1/60 or faster, f4-f8, and use a steady pose?

Yes. I believe the camera had a focusing issue, but the Nikon engineer I went to see were not super helpful (he basically told me I could spend 250 EUR to have the body checked, but there would probably be no issue at all).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow