On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,990Gear list
Like?
Re: On target!
In reply to Great Bustard, May 17, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

And while it certainly does this, the fact of the matter is that I don't think anyone voting on a photo I might submit to a competition, or purchasing a photo I might sell, would care.

What this boils down to for me is: it does bother me.

Another analogy. In the film days I hated seeing grain in the sky of my landscape shots. I was perfectly happy with the resolution I got from my OM primes, but it became a personal peeve of mine seeing grain in the sky. So I tried medium format and eventually ended up shooting 4X5. I wasn't making giant prints, mostly 8X10 and 11X14's so I used mediocre triplet lenses given the larger format was more forgiving. This gave me grainless skies and I was happy.

Would other people notice without this being pointed out? Probably not but I was trying to please myself, not other people. Should I have just stuck with 35mm because most people would accept that quality? I don't believe I would have enjoyed the final results as much if I had done so. Clearly YMMV on this.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow