Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
Re: No, its really not good.
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 17, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

I have the 5R and as many others have reported it is not much better than the older 5N.   There is less wobbling in and out of focus, but it is the same during video, and Sony says PDAF is always OFF during video.

It is the placebo effect.  A few people swear they sometimes see it work, but most don't.

I am surprised at how often the focus will start changing the wrong way even with PDAF.  You really notice it because as reported focusing is pretty slow.

I am not sure you clearly understood what I said. In regards to video, I know that PDAF doesn't work in NEX-6. But I was talking about OMD...OMD also has continuous auto-focus and essentially the technique for keeping something in focus during af-c on the OMD would be similar to keeping something in focus during video, because there is no PDAF either way. Since OMD doesn't do a good job of keeping things in focus during video - it tends to hunt - I would expect the AF-C performance to be similar.

NEX-6 on the other hand does better in video AF but it also had PDAF for still AF-C operation. Before we go any further arguing it here please describe exactly how you tested PDAF on your 5R?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow